As environmental awareness continues to rise, we want you to know most of our packaging is recyclable – and by purchasing from us, you play a role in making the world a cleaner place for all who call it home. Jasco's very own sustainability definition means our packaging, sourcing and recycling practices have been carefully crafted to advance our goal of environmental responsibility. As an industry leader in home electronics, lighting and power products, we are constantly striving to do our part in being a sustainable brand. Here's your first inside look at the steps we've taken and how you too can help reduce your carbon footprint.
Every year, the Jasco distribution center recycles hundreds of tons of cardboard. In 2017, for example, our total exceeded 400 metric tons – the equivalent of emissions by 84.9 passenger vehicles driven for one year! Considering the scale of our operations, our success in recycling the vast majority of our cardboard waste represents a turning point in our push toward greater sustainability.
Did you know?
- One ton of recycled cardboard saves up to 17 mature trees.
Sustainability is cyclical. Besides recycling our own paper waste, we also strive to use recycled materials in our daily operations. Our boxed packaging consists of a minimum of 25% post consumer waste, and all instruction manuals and inserts use at least 50% recycled material, while plastic contents increasingly use nontoxic and 100% recyclable PET. We also strive to work with suppliers who follow similar practices.
Did you know?
- Producing recycled paper requires about 60% of the energy used to make paper from virgin wood pulp.
LEDs are lighting the way to a more economically and environmentally responsible future. As a company whose product lineup heavily features LED lighting products, Jasco is certainly no exception. We have initiated the process of converting all of our lighting to LED, with the transition already complete in several parts of our campus.
We also rely on fluorescent lights, which, like LEDs, save time and money in comparison to traditional incandescent bulbs. LED and fluorescent lighting systems throughout our facilities are using up to 75% less than traditional incandescent lights.
Did you know?
- An LED's lifetime can easily exceed 50,000 hours, with newer models reaching 100,000 hours. (Compare to 1,000 hours for incandescent.)
- At least 95% of an LED is recyclable. The Department of Energy estimates that widespread residential and commercial adoption of LEDs in the next 20 years will save about $265 billion.
The process of geothermal conversion taps into energy from deep underground to provide heat in the colder months. Considered a renewable resource, geothermal heating uses water or steam that can be pumped back into the ground.
Since harnessing this power for buildings, we have managed to cut our energy usage in half, effectively reducing our carbon footprint by at least 40%!
Did you know?
- Geothermal energy produces 0.03% of the emissions that coal produces and 0.05% of the emissions that natural gas uses.
- For every 328 feet you go below ground, the temperature increases by 5.4 degrees Farenheight.
Jasco Tips to Save Energy
- Schedule your outdoor lights to turn on at dusk and off at shortly after bedtime with a digital timer or smart switch.
- Install a Smart Dimmer to reduce the amount of power your lights are using by decreasing the brightness.
- Dimming incandescent or halogen bulbs by 25%, for example, saves 20% electricity. Dim more and you'll save even more.
- Cut your lighting-related energy usage by 25-40% with intelligent dimming.
- Dimming saves energy and the environment while enriching your life.
- Install a Smart Outlet to turn off power to your entertainment center and eliminate phantom power from your electronic devices.
- Schedule your house lighting to turn off when no one is home.
- Keep an eye out for select smart controls that offer energy monitoring support.
HOW Can You Help?
If your product came in recyclable packaging, you will find an icon accompanied by “100% recyclable.” Now check the plastic for a similar icon denoting recyclability. Note that all cardboard is recyclable, but some plastic will not be.
Make sure to separate plastic from cardboard for placement in different containers. Remove any other non-recyclable content prior to recycling.
Locate your nearest recycling drop-off center or take advantage of your local curbside recycling program. And last but not least, be sure to encourage your friends and family to make the same environmentally conscious choices!
What Else is Jasco Doing to Change the World?
Learn About the Give Your Way Program Here!